a) Policy matters related to water resources development and management.
b) General issues related to water availability, water conservation, efficiency of water use, application of latest techniques and technologies for efficient water management.
c) Coordination of the Meetings of National Water Resources Council, National Water Board, National Forum of Water Resources and Irrigation Ministers of States, Conference of Irrigation/ Water Resources Ministers.
d) Coordination with various Ministries in respect of general issues related to water resources, particularly with Ministry of Agriculture, Ministry of Environment, Forests & CC, Ministry of Rural Development (Department of Land Resources), Ministry of Drinking Water & Sanitation, Ministry of Urban Development, Ministry of Power, etc.
e) Coordination with International Commission on Irrigation and Drainage, UN organisations such as UNESCO, UN Environment, FAP etc.
2. Basin Management:
a) Administration and amendment of Inter State River Water Dispute (ISRWD) Act, 1956 and River Boards Act, 1956.
b) Matters relating to River Basin Organization, Setting up of water disputes tribunals and reference of disputes under ISWD Act, 1956 as well as administrative and legal matters connected therewith the various Water Dispute Tribunals.
3. All issues related to PPP, SPVs for any project.
4. CoordinationDivision :- Coordination Matters of the Ministry.
5. Organisation & Method (O&M) :- Matters relating to O&M activities and Office procedure; the subject of Records Management, the Departmental Records Room
6. Ganga Rejuvenation – Policy matters related to Ganga Rejuvenation with special focus on AIBP, Micro irrigation, arsenic mitigation and innovative schemes.
7. Peninsular River Wing
a) All work/issues related to the rivers Godavari, Krishna, Cauvery, Mahi, Sabarmati, Narmada, Tapi, West side flowing rivers from Tapi to Tadri and Tadri to Kanyakumari; Cauvery Award issues.
b) All work/issues related to rivers Subarnarekha, Brahmani-Baitarani, Mahanadi, Pennar and rivers of A&N island & Pondicherry, east side flowing rivers between Mahanadi &Pennar and between Pennar and Kanyakumari, Kutch &Saurashtra including Luni. Islands of Dadra & Nagar Haveli and Daman & Diu; Rivers draining desert in Rajasthan. All works related to International Organizations, draught and Dam Rehabilitation Improvement Project (DRIP).
c) Administrative and financial matters of Pen. Riv Wing including KRMB and GRMB.
8. River Development Division
9. e-Governance – IT functions and implementation of e-Office in the Ministry/Coordination with Attached Offices/Subordinate Organizations in e-governance.
10. IEC – Issues relating to carrying out mass awareness activities/ programmes on water conservation under the Information, Education & Communication Component of HRD/ CB Scheme.
11. ID - Infrastructure Development Scheme of the Ministry.