Government of India has constituted Advisory Council on Artificial Recharge to Ground Water in the year 2006 under the Chairmanship of Hon’ble Minister of Water Resources with the main objective of popularizing concept of artificial recharge among stakeholders as well as water managers. The Council is comprised of members from different concerned Central Ministries/ Departments, representatives of State Governments, Public Undertakings, Financial Institutions, representatives of Industries, subject experts/ Farmers/NGO’s. The Council has held four meetings in July 2006, September 2007, April 2010 and September, 2010. As per the recommendations of the Council, various actions taken/ initiated in MoWR are indicated below:
- National Ground Water Congress was organized in September 2007 and March 2010.
- Declaration of year 2007 as “Water Year”
- Implementation of Farmers Participatory Action Research Programme (FPARP) in 25 States/ UTs of the country.
- Institution of Ground Water Augmentation Awards and National Water Award to encourage NGOs/Gram Panchayats/ Urban Local Bodies / Institutions/ Corporate Sector and individuals.
- Report on “More crop and income per drop of water” was prepared.
- Ground water monitoring with Participatory approach involving PRI/Locals initiated.
- Web enabled Ground Water Information System (GWIS) was made available for use of public on 22.03.2010, wherein downloading of last 5 years water level and water quality data of National Hydrograph Stations of CGWB is possible.
- Report on “Ground Water Quality in Shallow Aquifers of India” compliled and released.