The approach followed to minimise effect of drought during the 8th Five Year Plan were:
- Larger thrust for watershed development under Drought Prone Area Programme.
- Dry land farming and water resource development.
- Instead of capital intensive engineering works for soil and moisture conservation, encourage simple and
low cost structures which can be completed in a short time with the help of local skills.
- Dovetail Crop production activities into the watershed project along with soil conservation activities.
- Take up large scale dry land farming demonstrations.
- Limited irrational and over exploitation of groundwater resources.
- Undertake Research on the efficacy and economics of sprinkler and drip irrigation systems.
- Construction of suitable water harvesting structures for the purpose of conservation and optimal use of
surface water and recharge of underground aquifers.
- Renovation and restoration of old tanks/farm ponds in the villages.
- Afforestation and Pasture Development.
- Animal Husbandry and Fodder Development.
- People's participation in drought proofing.