Central Water and Power Research Station was established in the year 1916 in Pune by then Bombay Presidency as a Special Irrigation Cell. It is the premier Hydraulic Research institute and a subordinate office under Ministry of Jal Shakti, Department of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation.
To be a world class center of excellence in basic and applied research on Hydraulic engineering and allied areas; which is responsive to changing global scenario, and need for sustaining and enhancing excellence in providing technological solutions for optimal and safe design of water resources and coastal structures.
To meet the country’s need for basic & applied research in water resources, power sector and coastal engineering with world-class standards
To develop competence in deployment of latest technologies by networking with the top institutions globally and to meet the future needs for development of water resources projects in the country effectively
To disseminate information, build skills and knowledge for capacity-building and mass awareness for optimization of available water resources.