POLAVARAM PROJECT AUTHORITY
The Union Cabinet in its meeting held in May, 2014 approved constitution of Polavaram Project Authority as per Andhra Pradesh State Reorganization Act (APRA), 2014. In pursuance of the Act, the Central Government constituted the Polavaram Project Authority vide Ministry of Water Resources Gazette Notification dated 28th May, 2014. The Polavaram Project Authority (PPA) has started functioning at Hyderabad.
As perAPRA, 2014 Act,it is expedient in the public interest that the Union should take under its control the regulation and development of the Polavaram Irrigation Project for the purposes of irrigation and the Central Government shall execute the project and obtain all requisite clearances including environmental, forests, and rehabilitation and resettlement norms.
In pursuance of Department of Expenditure, Ministry of Finance O.M No. 1(2)/PF-1/2014(Pt) dated 30.09.2016, Government of Andhra Pradesh is executing the construction of Irrigation component of PIP on behalf of Government of India.
2.0 -ORGANIZATIONAL SETUP of PPA
As per Gazette notification No. 129 dated 28th May, 2014 there shall be constitution of an Authority called the Polavaram Project Authority (hereinafter referred to as the Authority); The Authority shall consist of a Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and eleven Members, as under;
- The Chief Executive Officer – Chairman
- The Principal Secretary or Secretary of Irrigation or Water Resources Department of the successor State of Telangana – Member
- The Principal Secretary or Secretary of Irrigation or Water Resources Department of the successor State of Andhra Pradesh – Member
- Two Chief Engineers (Senior Administrative Grade), one each from Central Water Engineering (Group ‘A’) Service and Central Power Engineering (Group ‘A’) Service to be in-charge of Planning and Design and Power Wing respectively – Members
- Three Chief Engineers to be deputed by the State Government to be in-charge of the works for the Dam and appurtenant Structures, Power House and associated works and Canal system – Members
- Commissioner in-charge of Land Acquisition and Rehabilitation of States of Andhra Pradesh and Telangana – Member
- Financial Adviser, Ministry of Water Resources – Member
- One Chief Engineer (Senior Administrative Grade) from Central Water Engineering (Group ‘A’) Service -Member Secretary
The Chief Executive Officer and Members at serial numbers (iv), (v) and (viii) shall be posted to the Authority on full time basis by the Central Government or the State Government, as the case may be.
3.0 Governing Body of PPA
As per Gazette notification dated May 28th, 2014, there shall be a Governing Body to the Polavaram Project Authority, which shall consist of the following:
- The Secretary to the Government of India, Ministry of Water Resources – Chairperson
- The Chief Secretary to the Government of Andhra Pradesh – Member
- The Chief Secretary to the Government of Telangana – Member
- The Secretaries to the Government of India, Ministries of Environment and Forests, Finance (Dept. of Expenditure), Power and Tribal Welfare (or their nominee(s) not below the rank of
Joint Secretary) – Member
- The Chief Executive Officer, Polavaram Project Authority – Member
- A representative of Planning Commission (not below the rank of Joint Secretary) – Member
- Member Secretary, Polavaram Project Authority – Member Secretary
4.0 Project Execution and Funding:
Ministry of Finance vide F.No.1(2)/PF-1/2014(Pt) dated 30.09.2016 has conveyed that in view of the recommendations of the Vice Chairman, NITI Aayog, that it will be appropriate for the State Government of Andhra Pradesh to execute this project (as it is an important project and the State Government is keen to complete it at the earliest), the Government of India has agreed to the State’s request for execution of the project by the State Government on behalf of Government of India.
Further, the OM states that Government of India will provide 100% of the remaining cost of the irrigation component only of the project for the period starting from 01/04/2014, to the extent of the cost of the irrigation component on that date.